Please look out for the many volunteers walking around the roads of Langton Green over the next few weeks to collect bric a brac and to sell Fete programmes and raffle tickets. Please be ready for them as per the advertised day on the leaflet which has been put through your door!
Langton Green lies just two miles from Royal Tunbridge Wells in an area of outstanding natural beauty. As a consequence, the village enjoys all the benefits of an active village community of around 2500 people, yet is within easy reach of the delights of the famous spa town, with its easy access to the City (train journey of around 55 minutes), the coast and the M25 motorway network.
Langton Green has a long history dating back to the 1300s where, just like its neighbour Tunbridge Wells, royalty used to come to stay and to live. The first Princess of Wales – Joanna, the Fair Maid of Kent and mother of King Richard II, lived at The Hollands in the village from 1353. In the second half of the 19th Century, Princess Louise, the 4th daughter of Queen Victoria, lived at Dornden in Langton Green for ten years with her husband, the Marquis of Lorne. The Queen visited them in 1876. Prince Andrew of Yugoslavia lived here (also at The Hollands) in the 1950s and the village was also the home of Prince and Princess Weikersheim in the same period. So perhaps a claim should be made for our village to be called ‘Royal Langton Green’?
Decimus Burton has had an important influence on the village, designing at least two houses of great significance. The Hollands is one (which has already been mentioned) and Holmewood House, now a well known independent girls and boys school.
The Trustees of the Langton Green Charitable Trust are pleased to announce the availability of a new room upstairs at the Village Hall for business meetings, social gatherings and other general get-togethers. Now refurbished with fresh paint, new carpet and new blinds...
The Village Society was founded in 1959 originally as the Rural Society with the specific aim of keeping a watchful eye on anything which would affect the appearance and character of the village. This is still true today, except that the Society is more involved with village affairs than in those early years.
Langton Green is a village of over 1,300 households and is one of the four villages which make up Speldhurst Parish. Its Church (All Saints) sits close to the Green and the Village Hall is now a new modern building located next to the recreation ground. The rural area around Langton Green is a fine example of Kent/Sussex landscape at its very best and is well served by a comprehensive network of footpaths ideal for pleasant countryside walking.
This website was created, and is maintained, by the Langton Green Village Society for the benefit of the village. If you have a news item or event which is about, from or happening in the village, you may contact us here.